As a member of the Corporate Management Team, the General Counsel reports to the CEO of Sellers Dorsey with a dotted line to the Board of Directors. The responsibility of the General Counsel will be to provide senior management with effective advice on legal and logical implications of company strategies and their implementation; assure compliance by Sellers Dorsey with applicable laws and regulations and with the Sellers Dorsey bylaws; protect Sellers Dorsey intellectual property; incorporate into Sellers Dorsey contracts all appropriate rights and protections for the firm while avoiding unnecessary contract obligations; manage the legal function; and manage the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions, including negotiating critical contracts and M&A. The General Counsel is a key member of the Corporate Management Team and serves as Corporate Secretary and Ethics Officer.
- Performs job duties consistent within safety, legal, and regulatory requirements as well as firm values, standards, culture, and business practices.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs, and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Reviews and negotiates contracts with clients, important partners, and vendors.
- Evaluates potential partnerships and relationships to support the Sellers Dorsey brand.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions and joint ventures. Work with outside counsel on any financing arrangements, leases, M&A activity, etc.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that Sellers Dorsey conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and client contract requirements.
- Structures and manages the firm’s internal corporate legal function and staff. Coaches and develops corporate legal team members, including working on their respective professional development plans.
- Advises on legal aspects of assessing current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Protects Sellers Dorsey intellectual property.
- Maintains overall responsibility for HIPAA security policies and procedures to maintain the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of all client and organizational protected information.
- Acts as Sellers Dorsey’s Ethics Officer. Manages whistleblower hotline and brings reports forward for resolution.
- As Corporate Secretary, provides support and counsel to the Board.
- Manages, retains, and evaluates all outside counsel.
- Assists Human Resources and external employment attorney in the management and handling of all employment related matters for the Company.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited institution is required.
- Admission in good standing (or the ability to obtain admission within one (1) year) to the Pennsylvania Bar is required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years in legal practice at a law firm or in a corporate legal department required. Candidates with prior in-house experience are preferred; those with experience working at firms engaged in professional services will be prioritized.
- Primary substantive experience must include—
- General corporate practice, including working with boards of directors.
- Commercial agreements (reviewing, drafting & negotiating), especially professional services contracts.
- Sophisticated transactions, including M&A, JVs, and financing work.
- Familiarity in the following is preferred—
- Government contracts and healthcare contracts; Medicaid experience highly preferred.
- Employment matters (recruiting/hiring; employee handbooks, policies & procedures; discipline/discharge; employment/EEO claims & investigations).
- Data privacy, including HIPAA.
- Intellectual property, marketing, and advertising.
- Corporate compliance and investigations.
Required Work Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner.
- Ability to identify and mitigate material legal risks while avoiding over-reacting to non-material legal risks.
- Ability to understand and measure business risks versus legal risks.
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Ability to engender confidence of the Board and Leadership Team.
Core Behaviors and Competencies
- Build positive relationships within and outside the firm.
- Treat clients, strategic partners, and fellow employees with respect and professionalism in all interactions.
- Take ownership for one’s professional development by increasing knowledge, skills and abilities in areas that are critical to the firm’s success.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other firm staff.
- Demonstrate formal and ad hoc team leadership in projects, issues or organizations that are critical to achieving the firm’s strategic goals.
- Be self-motivated, and be an advocate for one’s abilities and talents, both internally and externally.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management, Sellers Dorsey Board members, and business associates.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Sellers Dorsey maintains a Drug-Free workplace.