The Senior Consultant 2 (Project Director) provides direct client consulting and leadership services including maintaining overall responsibility for delivering client engagements, leading project teams, including day-to-day management, strategy development, the execution of strategy into meaningful deliverables, providing objective advice, expertise and specialized skills in the area of healthcare policy, strategy and management with the aim of creating value, maximizing growth and/or improving the business performance of clients. This role reports to Managing Directors who serve as executive sponsors for client engagements. Project Directors oversee the delivery of consulting services leveraging policy and/or industry financial expertise primarily in Medicaid financing and revenue maximization, hospital and physician policy and reimbursement, but also long-term services and support (LTSS), healthcare IT, Medicaid managed care, and business development. This role is responsible for client relationships at a senior level and for all policy/technical aspects on projects. This role also delivers strategic advice and counsel to our Sellers Dorsey business partners, states, private companies and various associations and unions. The role is responsible for policy guidance, direct service delivery, project management, client satisfaction, identification of new and expanded business activities, including proposal development responsibilities and final client deliverables.
General Responsibilities and Expectations
- Account for hours on a monthly basis. Any hours not targeted for direct client servicing shall be used for administration, sales and marketing activities, and paid-time-off in consultation with his/her supervisor. Senior Consultant 2s (Project Directors) are expected to review periodic activity reports and work with his/her supervisor to develop strategies to ensure expectations are met.
- Travel as needed to meet the needs of client servicing, marketing, and business development and work may require periodic availability on weekends and nights.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff as assigned.
- Perform assigned and agreed upon project tasks maintaining client satisfaction through proactive project management; takes ownership of work and produces “client-ready” deliverables
- Deliver client management, subject matter expertise, consulting and strategic services on multiple projects, clients and engagements; facilitate solution development; assist with proposal development, ensure project plan development, data analysis, and presentation development, and deliver client presentations
- In the absence of, or as assigned by, a Managing Director, may serve as a key client contact to respond to questions, provide required communications and be responsible for a successful client engagement
- Use personal industry knowledge, connections, business expertise, public policy awareness and political insight to identify leads that could result in profitable revenue growth for the Firm
- Actively seek to identify new business opportunities for the Firm within assigned clients to help maximize long term benefits and relationship between the client and Sellers Dorsey
- Actively provide proposal development assistance including proposal drafting, editing, scope development, and related duties as necessary
- In coordination with the marketing team, produce and review content for selected internal and external marketing tools, such as Firm newsletters, conference presentations, website content, and marketing webinars, to highlight the Firm’s capabilities, subject matter expertise and successes
- Leverage policy and/or healthcare solution expertise to help Managing Directors develop, document and communicate new solutions
- Demonstrate current knowledge of federal and state health policy and regulatory environment, learn state specific regulations to support assigned projects, stay current on industry trends, and apply information in various engagements
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Health, Health Administration, business, economics or MBA preferred
10 or more years of progressively responsible work experience in health or human services policy research, consulting and/or in a healthcare service delivery environment, or 5+ years of post-graduate, progressively responsible work experience in consulting or operational experience in health care and/or health policy research/analysis
- Expertise with Medicaid
- Advanced experience in federal or state government or private healthcare industry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including relaying complex technical terms in an easy to understand manner
- Ability to interact professionally with clients and other outside audiences
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to work effectively independently and in teams
- Deliver services on several projects simultaneously
- Time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Stand/sit at a desk for extended periods of time
- Use hands and fingers, type on keyboard extensively
- Apply common sense and problem solve
- Able to manage deadlines and multiple tasks
Core Behaviors and Competencies:
- Environment is a business casual office with moderate noise, frequent interruptions and multiple demands
- Build positive relationships within and outside the Firm
- Treat clients, strategic partners and fellow employees with respect and professionalism in all interactions
- Take ownership for one’s professional development by increasing knowledge, skills and abilities in areas that are critical to the Firm’s success
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Firm staff
- Demonstrate formal and ad hoc team leadership in projects, issues or organizations that are critical to achieving the Firm’s strategic goals
- Be self-motivated, and be an advocate for one’s abilities and talents, both internally and externally
Key Performance Metrics/Expectations:
- Individual performance and utilization goals
- Successful completion of client deliverables, tasks, projects
- Professional development
- Business/revenue achievement
- Achieve billable time targets
- Must be available to work in Philadelphia on most days when not travelling.
- As clients are all over the country, travel may be up to 50%.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.