The Senior Consultant 2 will work along with corporate staff to develop and execute a business plan designed to expand the Firm’s presence and client base in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In addition, the Senior Consultant 2 in this position will oversee and manage all Virginia clients, ensuring high-quality work products and client satisfaction. The Senior Consultant 2 will provide direct client consulting and leadership services including offering objective advice, expertise and specialized skills in the area of healthcare policy, strategy and management with the aim of creating value, maximizing growth and/or improving the business performance of clients. The Senior Consultant 2 supports corporate staff, Managing Directors and Senior Consultant 3s (both technical and non-technical) in delivering consulting services leveraging policy and/or industry financial expertise in areas such as Medicaid financing and revenue maximization, long-term services and support (LTSS), healthcare IT, Medicaid managed care, business development, hospital policy and reimbursement. The Senior Consultant 2 is responsible for client relationships at a senior level and delivers strategic advice and counsel to our Sellers Dorsey business partners, states, private companies and various associations or unions. The Senior Consultant 2 is responsible for policy guidance, direct service delivery, project management, client satisfaction, identification of new and expanded business activities, including significant proposal development responsibilities and final client deliverables.
General Responsibilities and Expectations
- A Senior Consultant 2 in this position will be expected to manage expansion of the Firm’s work in the Commonwealth of Virginia, including creating a business development plan featuring a wide array of potential clients in the Virginia healthcare landscape.
- Senior Consultant 2s are expected to account for hours on a monthly basis. They will be provided with targets in each of the Client Servicing areas they support. Any non-targeted hours shall be used for administration, sales and marketing activities, and paid-time-off in consultation with his/her supervisor. Senior Consultant 2s are expected to review periodic activity reports and work with his/her supervisor to develop strategies to ensure expectations for targets are met.
- Sellers Dorsey Senior Consultant 2s are expected to travel as needed to meet the needs of client servicing, marketing, and business development. Senior Consultant 2s understand that work may require periodic availability on weekends and nights.
- In coordination with corporate staff, oversee and manage all client work in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Perform assigned and agreed upon project tasks maintaining client satisfaction through proactive project management; take ownership of work and produce “client-ready” deliverables with minimal supervision
- Deliver subject matter expertise, consulting and strategic services on multiple projects, clients and engagements; manage assigned primary research and/or solution development; assist with proposal development, project plan development, data analysis, presentation development, and delivery of client presentations
- Serve as a key client contact to respond to questions, provide required communications and, along with corporate staff or a Managing Director, be responsible for a successful client engagement
- Create a business development plan for expanding the Firm’s work in the Commonwealth of Virginia and work along with Firm corporate staff in executing the plan
- Use personal industry knowledge, connections, business expertise, public policy awareness and political insight to identify leads that could result in profitable revenue growth for the Firm
- Actively provide proposal development assistance including proposal drafting, editing, scope development, and related duties as necessary
- Actively seek to identify new business opportunities for the Firm within assigned clients to help maximize long term benefits and relationship between the client and Sellers Dorsey
In coordination with the marketing team, produce and review content for selected internal and external marketing tools, such as Firm newsletters, conference presentations, website content, and marketing webinars, to highlight the Firm’s capabilities, subject matter expertise and successes
- Leverage policy and/or healthcare solution expertise to help corporate staff and Managing Directors develop, document and communicate new solutions
- Demonstrate current knowledge of federal and state health policy and regulatory environments, learn state specific regulations to support assigned projects, stay current on industry trends, and apply information in various engagements
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree and 15 or more combined years of experience in government, healthcare policy management, and/or in the healthcare consulting industry; advanced degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Health, Health Administration, business, economics or MBA preferred
- 7 or more years of combined experience working with hospitals and managed care organizations on Medicaid issues. Advanced experience at the federal, state or private healthcare industry sector strongly desired.
- Significant knowledge of and expertise in the Virginia Medicaid program and the Virginia state legislative cycle required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including relaying complex technical terms in an easy to understand manner
- Ability to interact professionally with clients and other outside audiences
- The ability to work effectively independently and in teams
- Experience delivering services on several projects simultaneously
- Time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Stand/sit at a desk for extended periods of time
- Use hands and fingers, type on keyboard extensively
- Apply common sense and problem solve
- Able to manage deadlines and multiple tasks
Core Behaviors and Competencies:
- Environment is a business casual office with moderate noise, frequent interruptions and multiple demands Due to current hoteling situation, ability to work independently outside of traditional office setting is critical.
- Build positive relationships within and outside the Firm
- Treat clients, strategic partners and fellow employees with respect and professionalism in all interactions
- Take ownership for one’s professional development by increasing knowledge, skills and abilities in areas that are critical to the Firm’s success
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Firm staff
- Demonstrate formal and ad hoc team leadership in projects, issues or organizations that are critical to achieving the Firm’s strategic goals
- Be self-motivated, and be an advocate for one’s abilities and talents, both internally and externally
Key Performance Metrics:
- Individual performance and utilization goals
- Successful completion of client deliverables, tasks, projects
- Professional development
- Business/revenue achievement
- Achieve billable time targets
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.